2016 Campaigns to Learn From
2016 was a year of ups and downs. A year of success and failure, a turbulent mix between politics, business and the world developing faster than the news outlets could report. But. 2016 was also a year of advertising campaigns across the internet that sparked consumer trends, incredible business growth and a global sense of community.
Here are our top 10 ads and campaigns that emerged in 2016:
- Airbnb: Live There
- Starbucks: A Year of Good
- Dennys: Zoom in on the syrup
- Nike: Time is Precious
- Thai Life Insurance: Believe in Good (Best Ad Winner 2014); This ad received internet fame in 2016 as it was shared millions of times over various social media platforms.
- Audi & Airbnb Collaboration: Desolation
- Audi America: #Driveprogress
- Nike Football: The Switch
- Rio Paralympics: We're the Superhumans
- Heathrow Airport: Coming Home for Christmas
These ads were all successful through social media virality. Their concepts were created in some of the best advertising agencies in the world for companies the world over. The global phenomenon of viral marketing has been supported digitally through social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram, Twitter and Youtube. The interconnectedness between sharing across multiple platforms has allowed companies and digital marketers to promote to an international audience, where the language barrier can be overcome by the incorporation of a third party application.
So how can we develop the concepts and ideas that are behind 2016s most successful advertisements and implement them into our own practices? What were the keys points these all had in common?
- All of these ads focused on promoting the values of the company or an entertaining ideal rather than the product itself.
- The focus was on current global concerns including but not limited to:
- Economic Crisis
- Work/Life Balance
- Family Values
These issues appealed emotionally to the viewers and received such a strong response that the advertisements were shared millions of times. Consumers are becoming more aware of traditional marketing tactics, and honesty and integrity are becoming more crucial to appeal to consumers and therefore digital marketers need to ensure they are aware of the consumer response to their campaigns as well as the trends set forth by industry leaders.
Leave a link to your favourite ad of all time below.